Skip to product information
1 of 18

262997/1949 - West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority No. 1 - Ruston Works' Green - DCC Sound Fitted

262997/1949 - West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority No. 1 - Ruston Works' Green - DCC Sound Fitted

SKU:ACC2860-DCC

Regular price £266.66 GBP
Regular price Sale price £266.66 GBP
Sale Sold out

Ruston 262997 was built new for the West Midlands Joint Electricity Authority, leaving Boultham Works on 27 January 1949 for the Birchills Power Station in Walsall. Birchills came under the control of the WMJEA in 1925 and in 1944 it was decided that a new Station, Birchills B, should be constructed. The new power station, called 'Walsall B', officially opened on 30th September, 1949, and 262997 was responsible for shunting at the new Power Station, still carrying its WMJEA legend despite nationalisation of the industry in 1948, where Birchills became part of the Midlands Region of the Central Electricity Generating Board. Birchalls burned ‘slack’ coal, a mixture of coal and coal dust which was delivered by road, rail, and canal. Located to the south of the former Midland Railway’s Wolverhampton to Walsall (Ryecroft Junction) line, the railway sidings and coal storage areas could be accessed from both east and west directions. The Power Station closed in October 1982 and the stub of railway serving it was closed at the same time.

Sample Photographs are for illustrative purposes only. Detail variations will differ from model to model

View full details